Skip to main content

Tour Update: July 21, 2020

By Jeff Spring

Milford, MI // July 21, 2020

With evolving challenges facing the 2020 professional touring season, the DGPT has stepped up create, prioritize and implement responsible policies and practices that put the health and safety of touring players and the communities we visit as the focus of our events during the restart and continuation of the DGPT season. With this in mind, we’re happy to provide an update on the event schedule today.

In early June, the DGPT team hit the road again after a long break due to the COVID-19 pandemic which caused the suspension of the 2020 season on March 13. Off season 2.0 officially ended six weeks after the PDGA began restoring sanctioning when the Dynamic Discs Open kicked off on June 24, 2020.

The Tour has been running successfully since, with back-to-back-to-back weeks of events with the DDO (Elite Series), the Preserve Championship (Elite Series), and the Silver Cup XX (Silver Series). The DGPT has implemented a contact tracing program and provides free testing for COVID-19. Thus far, a month after restarting, there have been no positive tests or reported symptoms of COVID-19 from touring players or event attendees. That said, the DGPT is up-to-date with and aware of the current spikes in measurements of COVID-19 transmission across different areas of the country.

During the break, the DGPT enacted an official COVID-19 Policies & Best Practices document built on the PDGA’s Policies and Best Practices and designed to follow all CDC, State & local policies and guidelines. The DGPT Policy stipulates three phases for events to operate under during the pandemic. This document has been critical in helping to educate and inform all event participants on how to conduct themselves responsibly during events, and what barometers the DGPT will use to decide whether to hold an event, and what phases event will be in.

In line with our Policies & Best Practices document, and in cooperation with the local organizing teams of each event, we can provide a broader update today about the remainder of the season’s schedule.

Sarah Hokom launches a forehand off the tee at hole 6 of The Preserve Championship


Starting with Discraft’s Great Lakes Open (Elite Series), and including the Mid America Open presented by Discraft (Silver Series) as well as the Idlewild Open presented by Dynamic Discs (Elite Series) the next three events will be in Phase 1 of the DGPT COVID-19 Policy. While Phase 1 and 2 share testing, tracing, on course safety measure & resources, social distancing and mask policies, the biggest differences are that in Phase 1 there are no spectators or caddies allowed. Click the link below to read the DGLO Phase 1 overview.


The phases of events are determined by State and Local Guidance regarding outdoor activities and the amount of people allowed to gather outdoors. Phase 2 can be considered for an event when local guidance allows 50 or more people to gather. Since each state and county have slightly different policies, there are other factors that the DGPT assesses with event teams before determining the phase as well. In the case of the next three events, it became clear that all three event teams and the DGPT felt that Phase 1 was the appropriate decision based on conditions on the ground and guidance from local health officials. The DGPT aims to set the phase of each event two weeks before the start of competition, and is able to do so in most cases. Below, find an updated schedule graphic for the remainder of the season.


Discraft’s Ledgstone Insurance Open presented by Grip EQ: Confirmed

  • Scheduled: 8/13-16
  • Ledgestone looks to be moving forward smoothly and currently is on track to operate in Phase 2 based on discussions and guidance from local health and government officials.

Charlie Vettiner Open: Cancelled

  • Scheduled: 8/21-23
  • After assessment of the effect of the pandemic on event preparations and the uncertainty regarding the local venue, the Charlie Vettiner Open has been cancelled by the event team. We hope to see the event return in 2021.

MVP Open @ Maple Hill: Probable

  • Scheduled: 8/28-30
  • The team at Maple Hill and the DGPT are assessing quarantine guidance from the State of Massachusetts and will confirm the event as soon as possible. We are working with the county board of health to ensure that all local and state policies are followed, and will provide updates to registered competitors within one week.

Discraft’s Green Mountain Championship @ Smugglers’ Notch Resort: Probable

  • Scheduled: 9/3-6
  • The team at Smugglers’ Notch Resort and the DGPT are assessing quarantine guidance from the State of Vermont and will provide updates in line with the updates regarding the MVP Open.

Other Notes

  • As the season continues, we will provide updates on the remaining events in line with our COVID-19 policy. We attempt to confirm events six weeks out, and set a phase designation two weeks out.
  • Tallahassee Open Rescheduled: One month ago, the team at the Tallahassee Open has moved their event to the end of October to avoid conflicts with other events that had also been rescheduled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. At this time, the DGPT is assessing whether or not the 2021 Points season could begin early and “wrap around”, as the PGA Tour does, kicking off in November of 2020. The DGPT is in discussions with our partners about this possibility, but no decisions have been made at this time.

We thank the competitors, fans, local organizing teams, and the DGPT staff for working hard to ensure that the return to competition in 2020 has been conducted as responsibly as possible amid these challenge circumstances. Stay turned for more updates regarding events through the end of the season.